Pot stickers are a great treat to make a big batch of and freeze for later. They make a tasty and quick dinner for those nights when I don’t feel like cooking.
They are really easy to make and you can stuff them with almost anything. Last time we used left over roast chicken. This time I wanted pork.
About a cup of Greens, chopped (usually I would use cabbage or bok choy but I fed the rest of the cabbage to our house rabbits so I had to choose an alternative. I had some Swiss chard in the crisper so I used that)
3 green onions, chopped
Handful of water chestnuts, chopped (optional)
1-2 Tbs fresh ginger, finely minced or grated.
1clove garlic, minced
1 Tsp corn starch
1Tbs soy sauce
1/2 Tsp sugar
1 Tsp sugar
1 package fresh Gyoza wrappers
Pour hot water over the chopped greens and let it sit for 5 minutes. Drain and squeeze all the water out.
Mix all the filling ingredients together with your hands until well incorporated.
I have my husband do this because he’s more dexterous than I am.
Hold a wrapper in one hand and put about a table spoon of filling in the middle. Dip your fingers in water and lightly wet the wrapper on one side.
Fold the sides over like a taco and pinch closed at the center. Then working from the center outward, fold and pinch it closed, creating pleats every half inch or so. Do one side at a time.
At this point you can spread them out on a cookie sheet and freeze. When they are frozen, put into a Ziploc bag.
To cook them heat a bit of oil in a pan and place the dumplings, seam side up in the pan. Don’t over crowd. Cook over medium-high heat till the bottoms are brown and crisp. Pour about 1/4 cup of water into the pan and cover. Steam till cooked through.
Serve with dipping sauce:
- Pan Cooked Pot Stickers (cpandb.wordpress.com)
- Salvaging Pot Stickers (thestarvingartistfood.com)
- 2 In The Kitchen: Ring In The Chinese New Year With Pork Pot Stickers (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Gyozas (theinnercook.com)
- Recipes from My Childhood (auntpreble3.wordpress.com)
- Gyoza (storiesbehindcindyskitchen.com)
- -Calphalon Contemporary Stainless 13-Inch Flat-Bottom Wok (calphaloncontemporarystainless13inchflatzsale.wordpress.com)